It was the summer of 2007. My marriage was falling apart, financial pressures were escalating, my career was in chaos, and my relationship with my husband and father of my three children was crumbling into criticism and acrimony.
Harsh words and negativity surrounded me. Feeling completely overwhelmed, I collapsed on the steps in the dark garage where no one would see me, and sobbed my heart out.
My world was caving in. I felt like I had fallen into a deep dark hole and couldn’t crawl out, no matter how hard I tried.
I was also in the midst of menopause with all the usual symptoms: sleeplessness, anxiety attacks, depression, mood swings, hot flashes, brain fog and no energy.
BUT, what I did next, and in the ensuing days and months to follow, changed my life completely–for the better.
I walked away from an awful job and got divorced.
I got fitter, more healthy, changed my diet, found a new group of positive friends, ended up in the dream career I always wanted, and moved to a town where I’d always wanted to live. And I found the love of my life.
The transition through menopause can actually become a catalyst for much upheaval in one’s life. Suddenly things that you were content with no longer work for you. You start thinking of yourself and putting yourself first.
Stopping the distraction of unpleasant hormonal symptoms, getting your health on track, and stepping into a postive, ‘can-do’ mindset can help you create the life of your dreams.Without the annoyance of hormonal issues!
I will never regret the decisions I made or the path I took, and I am forever grateful for the changes that menopause brought about. Was it Uncomfortable? Yes. Was it Worth it? YES!!
I have been studying diet, fitness and health for the past 30+ years–in addition to my clinical nursing experience, which includes anti-aging, preventative and regenerative medicine and bioidentical hormone therapy.
I have had a life-long fascination with diet, fitness and nutrition that actually started while I was still in high school, when I started reading books by the world-famous nutritionist, Adele Davis.
I learned how to ‘biohack’ my genetic capacity at an early age, and I realized that we, as humans, have the ultimate power over our bodies and our health by what we put into them.
Wanting to learn even more about about human biology, nutrition, health and disease, I went back to school to study for a BSN in nursing. I just recently completed my Masters of Science in Nursing (at age 60).
I’ve written six books on diet and health that have sold thousands–and even hundreds of thousands of copies all over the world. I am an expert on diet and health, and want to share that knowledge with you.
You can do anything–at ANY age! It’s never too late to start! Don’t be ashamed to be a late bloomer! You can blossom when everyone else is wilting! Here are a few other things I’ve done since the age of 50…
- Winning a big bike race against 50 of the top women’s racers in the country
- Dangerous Class 4 and 5 white water rafting in Peru, Costa Rica, Nepal (one of the top 10 most dangerous rapids in the world), Ecuador, New Zealand, Scotland, the Zambezi River in Zambia, as well as Utah and Colorado
- Exploring the jungles of Costa Rica and Nicaragua
- Landing at the world’s most dangerous airport perched on the side of a cliff in Lukla, Nepal to hike the high altitudes of the Himalayan trail towards Mt. Everest
- Walking the Great Wall of China
- SCUBA diving in the Mediterranean, Thailand, Costa Rica and Belize
- Exploring the unspoiled beauty and wild animals of the Galapagos Islands
- Searching for Bengal tigers along the Nepal/India border
- Being dinner guests of a tribe of indigenous locals in highlands of Peru
- Exploring Zambia, exploring Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Botswana and seeing amazing wild animals up close
- Hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Or just exploring the wonders of the world — all the while studying diet, lifestyle, and nutrition in the many cultures and countries I’ve traveled to.
When I am not traveling, I live in Boulder, Colorado at the base of the beautiful Rocky Mountains where I ride my bike or run up into the mountains every day that I can.This should be the BEST chapter of your life and I want to help you to live your best life ever!